Swedish Cardamom Braids
- Sprinkle yeast into 2 cups warm water in large bowl, let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in one egg, salt , sugar, butter, cardamom and 3 cups flour.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until soft & smooth & elastic.
- Gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough, then turn out on lightly floured board & knead 5-10 min or until smooth.
- Put in a greased bowl turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise (1) hour. Punch down.
- Knead out air bubbles on floured board.
- Cut into 6 pieces.
- Make 2 Braids using 3 pieces each rolled into 1 inch ropes.
- Place on large greased baking sheet.
- Let rise 30 minutes covered.
- Brush with mixture of milk and 1 egg slightly beaten.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 min.
*Grandpa Peterson always purchased these Braids for Holidays. I didn't want the recipe to get lost. Hopefully someone will take on this challenge in the future. It just takes practice & the Braids can't be perfect. Try to purchase the ground cardamom.