Sage, Sausage and Apple Dressing
16 ounce bag stuffing cubes
6 Tbsp butter
1 pound sage sausage
1 medium onion chopped
1 large Granny Smith apple peeled, cored, and chopped
1 or 2 ribs celery with leaves, chopped
1 Cup mushrooms chopped
1/2 tsp salt
3 Cups chicken broth
1/4 Cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
1/3 Cup walnuts finely chopped
2 eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put the stuffing cubes in a large bowl and set aside. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and break apart. Cook until it loses most of its pink color, but not so much that it's dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage and pan drippings to the stuffing cubes.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in the pan.
- Add the onion, apple, celery, and salt. Cook about 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms.
- Continue cooking until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil.
- Pour the vegetable mixture over the stuffing cubes and toss until evenly moistened.
- Mix in the walnuts and eggs.
- Loosely pack the dressing in the prepared pan and cook uncovered until the top forms a crust, about 40 minutes.
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of turkey pan drippings or melted butter over the top.
- Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes more.
- Serve immediately or warm.