Orange Crunch Cake
Copycat Recipe from The Bubble Room
The original recipe called for Pillsbury frosting - I made my own. Next time, I'll try to figure out the cake mix ingredients, so we can get rid of all the fake stuff!
We tried to bake the cake without the crunch layer and add it on later. It was a disaster! Try actually following the directions next time and see what happens!
- Combine crunch layer ingredients.
- Press 1/2 into each bottom of two greased and floured 9" pans.
- In a large bowl, blend cake ingredients at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- In bowl of standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix sugar and butter on low speed until well blended and then mix an additional 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.
- Add whipped topping and mix until blended.
- Fold in orange and lemon zest.
- Add red and yellow food coloring until frosting reaches desired orange color.
Assembling the Cake
- Place one layer, crunch side up, on plate.
- Spread with 1/2 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining layer, crunch side up.
- Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with orange slices, if desired.