2 sticks butter softened
1 Cup sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 Cups all-purpose flour
anise flavoring if desired
- Mix butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, baking powder and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour. Dough should be soft. Add more flour if necessary.
- Form into 1 1/2 inch knots and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees until light brown on bottom, about 8 minutes.
- Pour some powdered sugar into a bowl.
- Add milk a few drops at a time until icing consistency is reached.
- Add anise flavoring if desired.
- When cool, dip top of cookie into icing.
- Sprinkle candies on top.