Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
1 pound italian sausage casings removed
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
8 Cups beef broth
2/3 Cup red wine
1 8 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
1 10 oz. pkg. frozen spinach
1 can cannelini beans drained
italian seasonings to taste
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
fresh parsley chopped
1 9 oz. pkg. cheese tortellini
- Cook sausage in the bottom of a large pot until cooked through.
- Remove cooked sausage and set aside.
- Pour out the grease, reserving about one tablespoon in the pot.
- Cook onions in the remaining sausage grease until soft.
- Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. A
- dd the red wine and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and frozen spinach.
- Cook until all spinach has thawed, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cannelini beans, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Stir into soup mixture.
- Add beef broth, tortellini and parsley and simmer 6-8 minutes until tortellini is fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with fresh grated parmesan.