1 pound carrots (about 6 medium), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch chunks
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Cup chicken broth
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp lemon juice
- Bring the carrots, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar and chicken broth to a boil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet, covered, over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are almost tender when poked with the tip of a paring knife, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to high and simmer rapidly, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butter and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to the skillet.
- Toss the carrots to coat and cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots are completely tender and the glaze is light gold, about 3 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Transfer the carrots to a serving dish, scraping the glaze from the pan into the dish.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.