Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 Cup butter softened
1 Cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- Melt chocolate over hot water and set aside to cool.
- Combine butter and sugar. Beat til creamy. Add vanilla, salt, melted chocolate and egg and mix well.
- Add flour and beat, scraping bowl, until well blended.
- Wrap dough in wax paper and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator.
- Using palms of hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls and place, 2 inches apart, onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- With thimble, make hole in center of each cookie.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
- If indentation has baked out, press again with thimble immediately after removal from oven.
1/4 Cup butter softened
2 Cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 drops food coloring red
1/2 Cup peppermint candy crushed
- Prepare filling. Cream butter and powdered sugar.
- Add milk, vanilla and food coloring and mix well.
- Fill each cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon of filling.
- Sprinkle with peppermint candy and press down lightly.