Carrot Cake with Orange-Cream Cheese Frosting
1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 pound carrots 6-7 medium, peeled
1 Cup walnuts chopped
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 1/2 Cups vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease two 9" round cake pans and lightly flour.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Shred the carrots with a grater or food processor (you should have about 3 cups) and add them to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Add granulated sugar, light brown sugar, eggs and orange zest to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until frothy and thoroughly combined, about 20 seconds. With the mixer running, add the oil in a steady stream. Mix until the mixture is light in color, about 20 seconds longer. Stir in the dry ingredients, carrots and walnuts until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
- Pour into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool the cake to room temperature in the pan on a wire rack, about 2 hours.
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese softened
1 stick butter softened
1 16 oz. pkg. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp orange juice
When the cake is cool, mix the cream cheese and butter. Add sugar, orange juice and orange zest and mix thoroughly. Spread onto cake.