Bratwurst with Apple Sauerkraut
4 links bratwurst
2 bottles beer
4 strips bacon chopped
1 yellow onion sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 golden delicious apple cored and cubed
1 bay leaf
1 14 oz. can sauerkraut rinsed under cold water and drained
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
black pepper freshly ground
- With a sharp knife or kitchen fork, prick each sausage several times. Add the beer to a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. DO NOT LET IT BOIL OVER!! Add the sausages and poach until almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausages from the liquid and set aside, reserving the liquid.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the onions to the fat in the pan and cook, stirring, until very soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add the apples and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the sauerkraut, reserved beer cooking liquid (1-2 cups), sugar, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until tender and aromatic, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill. Grill the sausages until cooked through, about 5 minutes, turning to cook evenly on all sides. Remove and place on a platter.
- Remove the sauerkraut from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the cooked bacon and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Arrange the sauerkraut on the platter with the sausages and serve, if desired, with rolls and mustard.
- Serve with cold beer.