Almond Spritz Cookies
1 Cup whole almonds toasted
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks butter slightly firm
4 ounces almond paste finely shredded
2/3 Cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Place almonds in food processor and pulse 5-6 times until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup flour and process about 30 seconds, until the mixture develops a sandy texture and holds together when pressed gently in your hand. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and salt and pulse to combine.
- Cream butter in mixer bowl until creamy and lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Add the almond paste and mix 30 seconds to combine. Pour in the sugar in a steady stream, than add the egg yolks one at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only to combine after each addition.
- Place the desired forming plate into the cookie press. Fill the press with dough and press the cookies onto the cookie sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Top with sprinkles.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes, or until the bottoms are very lightly browned. Let rest for 2-3 minutes before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. Cookies may also be frozen.